Friday, March 11, 2011

Tsunami in Japan

"JEN COME WATCH THE NEWS, JAPAN HAD AN EARTHQUAKE AND EVERYTHING'S ON FIRE!"

I bolted out of bed this morning, in complete shock.

After watching the news for about a minute, I dialed my mother as fast as I could, with tears streaming down my face. My immediate thought was, 'What about my family in Korea??'

Even after learning that Korea has not been affected, I was still astonished at what went on in Japan.

This tsunami was created by one of the largest earthquakes ever recorded. As I watched cars, houses, and buildings being swept by a vast wall of water, I couldn't help but to think that we are such small part of this universe , and that everything can be taken away in a matter of -seconds!


Images from BBC news



 
How silly of us to fret over small things- when there are tragedies happening all around us.

We were in class today, and as if the book knew about what happend, we were reading a story of volunteer work, and were asked if we would go to a third-world country to serve without getting paid.

Each classmate told their reasoning, but one replied that she liked her luxury and needed to be comfortable and have all her things at hand, and that's why she wouldn't volunteer.
I can sort of understand what she was saying (each to his or her opinion), but on the other hand, I found that inhumane.

I would hope that the majority of the world do not think like that. I would hope that most of us feel compassion and feel the need to reach out to those in need, to get their hands dirty to help another human being.

Imagine that this happend in your home country- home town even, and your family lost everything.
How would you feel? What would you do?
I feel deeply anguished today.


Look around us, in the past year, with earthquakes in Argentina (6.9) , Chile (8.8), Haiti (7.0), Flood in Brazil, volcano eruption in Iceland.... So many things have been happening with little gap inbetween, and I feel like the nature is trying to tell us something.

Instead of focusing our energy in negative thoughts, gossips, and comments, lets all try to do something GOOD in the world.
Let's go out and give a hand to the next door neighbour, let's donate a little bit of our money to the red cross/unicef/whatever cause you support, let's recycle........ Let's take an action to save our planet!

Let's make a difference in this world!

4 comments:

chaniagirl said...

This post demonstrates why you are one of the most beautiful people I know. Your heart is pure and full of love and compassion.

Thank you for this reminder today to put things in perspective ... and to choose to be the "change we wish to see in the world" by beginning with ourselves ... and loving outward from there.

lilalo said...

Things change around this world because people care. You definitely belong to this category! ..and it seems like your classmate still has some things to learn and she shouldn't take her comfort for granted!

Jooyeon said...

Thank you both for your kind comments.
Sometimes it's sad that tragedies are what makes us remind ourselves of this, and this was a big eye opener.

None of us, including myself are perfect, but if we at least catch ourselves every time we misuse our energy, I think slowly we can evolve from there.
We all have such a big potential, such a big purpose in life!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen! Thanks for subscribing to my blog :) My blessings to Japan. I was too in complete shock at the scenes I saw on the news. I can't even begin to imagine going through what they are going through!!! It definitely is an eye opener. Together we can all focus on making a positive difference in the world.